ASPA MAC Members
- Qualifications: MBBS, MEH, DCH, ACCAM, MBA, BA (Hons), LLB, Grad. Dip. Ed.
- Honorary Medical Officer and Trainer/Assessor, Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort
- Former volunteer ski patroller, Honorary Medical Officer and Committee Member, Lake Mountain Ski Patrol (leave of absence)
- Member, Australian Resuscitation Council Victorian Branch
- Board Member, World Association for Disaster and Emergency Medicine
- Medical Advisory Committee, Alpine Search and Rescue Victoria
- Tutor in Medicine, Medical Education Unit, University of Melbourne and Ormond College
- Study Doctor, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
- BLS/ACLS/PALS Instructor
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Qualifications: MBBS, FACRRM, DipRANZCOG, FRACGP
- Honorary Medical Officer, Falls Creek Ski Patrol 1985+
- Rural General Practitioner
- Contact email: email@example.com
I am and have been a Procedural GP in Mt Beauty for 31 years with a special interest in trauma and anaesthetics. I teach Registrars and medical students and am involved in the Alpine Medicine Program run through the Bogong Regional Training Network for doctors and medical students at Mansfield, Bright and Mt Beauty. I run the Falls Creek Medical Centre and have been involved with the Falls Creek Ski Patrol since 1985 taking an interest in their training and OH&S. I’m a keen XC and downhill skier and have raced in 20 Kangaroo Hoppets. I’m a senior Instructor with EMST and have done a fair bit of lecturing with ASPA over the years.
- Qualifications: MBBS, FAFOEM, Cert DHM (ANZCA), Dip DHM
- Alpine Medicine Late 1980s+
- Occupational physician
- Senior Specialist in Diving & Hyperbaric Medicine at The Alfred 1987 – present.
- Medical Advisor – Metropolitan Fire Brigade – First Responder Program 1994 – present.
- Board of Directors and Honorary Medical Advisor, Australian Diver Accreditation Scheme (Commercial Diving training standards and registration, including Diver Medical Technician).
- Diving Medical Advisory Committee, International Marine Contractors Association (including international DMT standards and emergency medical response).
- Committee of Management, University Ski Club and Lodge Manager, Falls Creek.
- Past Medical Officer, Westpac/SLSA Helicopter Rescue, RNSH Sydney 1983 (after which and as a result of which I abandoned surgical training).
- National Safety Council of Australia, Emergency Services 1984+ – trained in marine, helicopter, parachute cliff and ground rescue, firefighting, medical support – mountain, aviation, sea search, rescue and disaster response.
- Trained in winter mountain rescue – Bergwacht, Oberstdorf, Germany.
- Multiple seasons as a Medical Centre doctor at Mt Hotham for 1-2 weeks during the late 1980s and 1990s, plus three weeks at Mt Buller
- Several years volunteer with SES, Mafffra – bush and mountain search and rescue unit.
- Strong interest in search and rescue, survival, hypothermia.
- Periodic advisor, Victoria Police Search and Rescue re bush survival duration.
- Active alpine, alpine touring and telemark skier. Back-country skier and snow-camping. Regular Kangaroo Hoppet and Worldloppet marathon cross-country skier – skating and classical.
- Multiple snow and ice mountaineering trips to NZ in my younger days.
- Trekking peaks (up to 6000M+), Nepal 2007 and five-day invited visit to Extreme Everest expedition basecamp at Everest Basecamp, plus physiological laboratory studies at lower altitudes on way in and out.
- Honorary Medical Officer, Winter Paralympic team, Torino (my son James competed in cross-country skiing in Torino and Vancouver).
- Qualifications: MBBS, FANZCA
- Honorary Medical Officer and paid patroller, Mt Buller Ski Patrol 1990+
- Specialist Anaesthetist
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr James Cooper MB BS FANZCA
- Anaesthetist, Private Practice. Trained at Alfred Hospital Melbourne
- Professional Full Time Patroller, Mt Buller since 1990
- Medical Director – RopePro Pty Ltd – Vertical access and High Angle Rescue Services
- Victoria Police Search and Rescue – Vertical Rescue Program
- Supervisor Rope and Vertical Rescue, Mt Buller Ski Patrol
- Alpine Guides NZ Technical Mountaineering Qualification
- ASPA Medical Committee since 1993
- Ski Patrol, Mountaineering (Technical Alpine)
- Sailing (International A-Class Catamaran)
- Motorsports / Racing
With the unique (I think!) perspective of being both a patroller and a medico, my major interest of relevance here is the PRACTICAL application of medical and first and principles in the field.
All too often, our medical colleagues do not understand the limitations and logistical issues that are specific to patrolling. You will more often than not find that I strongly favour the simplification of patrol processes as much as possible. It is crucial to recall that in all rescue situations where conditions are adverse, Treatment requires TRANSPORT. My other interests include the ongoing promotion of Methoxyflurane as a field analgesic and scene management/logistics.
- Qualifications: MBBS, FACSP
- Honorary Medical Officer, Perisher Ski Patrol 1992+
- Medical Consultant to NSW Institute of Sport
- Medical Panel for Olympic Winter Institute of Australia (OWIA)
- Deputy Medical Director for AOC
- Chief Medical Officer for Wests Tigers NRL team
I am a Sports and Exercise physician in Sydney, based at Sydney Olympic Park and also in the CBD in private practice sports med clinics. I was also Medical Director for NSW Intitute of Sport from 2000-2012. I am currently also the Doctor for the Wests Tigers NRL team and have been involved in teaching first aid to sports trainers for rugby league. I have been an avid skier for over 30 years. I worked at, then ran the medical centre at Perisher Blue from 1992-2001 ski seasons and have been involved with the ski patrol since then (both Perisher and ASPA), on both an advisory capacity as well as teaching. I have taught at both Sydney and Thredbo ASPA courses over the years since 1993. I also do some risk management work with Perisher Blue by way of a knee screening program on an annual basis for their ski school and paid patrollers. I am also on the medical panel for the OWI (Olympic Winter Institute) and was the deputy Medical Director for the AOC team at the recent London Olympics.
My professional interests currently include regenerative medicine, OA and tendon pathologies as well as teaching registrars. My personal interests include football (still play veterans), skiing, my family, and a good drop of red!
My current research projects include an observational registry for use of adipose derived stem cell therapy in knee OA, use of low intensity pulsed ultrasound for treatment of stress fractures- a blinded randomized controlled trial, and in the near future, a double-blinded RCT on use of PRP for treatment of hamstring origin tendinosis and partial tears.
- Qualifications: MBBS; B.Med.Sci. (Hons), FRACGP
- Honorary Medical Officer and volunteer patroller, Mt Mawson 1999+
- Urban General Practitioner
- Contact email: email@example.com